The oldest track & field blog on the internet

Friday, September 03, 2010

Continental Cup Preview

The first-ever Continental Cup takes place this weekend.  Well, not really the first ever; it used to be the World Cup.  But back then it was at least partially a national-team competition, with three nations and five continents represented.  Now it's teams from four continents and the team-scoring portion of the meet seems basically pointless.  Some of the events have very weak fields, most notably the sprints, but some are surprisingly good.

Meet website
Schedule - start lists - results
Scoring and prize money format

Your viewing options are many. 
Live webcasts: at UniversalSports.com beginning at 11 AM on both days
TV coverage: same-day tape at 6 PM on Saturday and 7 PM on Sunday on  Universal Sports TV
IAAF Radio broadcasts: running from 10:30 AM to 3:30 PM on both days (link)
Note: IAAF Radio is really good, especially if you don't want to sit in front of a screen for four to five hours

I've got limited time this weekend, and I probably will have to choose which day to follow.  In that case I'll go with Sunday, as it has four different #1 vs #2 matchups, highlighted by what I think will be a very interesting women's 5k with Vivian Cheruyiot against Tirunesh Dibaba.

There are a lot of previews out there.  But what I really think I'd want would be a viewing guide that helped me know what events are going on, as there are often several at once.  I'd also want to know who was in each event and who were considered the favorites.

No such thing exists.  So I made one.  It's right here.  Use the arrow button on the top left to go full-screen or download the spreadsheet.

No comments: