The oldest track & field blog on the internet

Sunday, July 12, 2009

Things Yelled At Runners

My local road runner's club discussion board has brought up the topic of interesting things yelled at us while running.

My favorite comes from Bob Masters (one-time Olympic Trials participant
A group of us were running in Wildwood and our favorite elderly lady was feeling particularly surly that morning and yelled to us as we ran by, "You're all gonna die someday." Then I replied, "Not before you!"

My contribution:
I was running one morning in Key West a few years back. At 8 AM, you've got the entire island basically to yourself, but going down one side street there were three guys standing on the sidewalk and BSing. They saw me coming, gave me some room, and as I went past one of them watched me and said quietly to his buddies "Oh, yeah."

My initial gut reaction was finally understanding how women often feel, but my second one was "well, I guess someone finds me attractive" and took it as a compliment.

I'm not sure if I've got the details exactly right about this one: Keith Madaras was running his first marathon at Twin Cities in cold half rain/half snow conditions. Late in the race the course went by the Governor's mansion, then occupied by one Jesse "The Body" Ventura. He was standing out on the lawn in shorts and a Hawaiian shirt with a lit cigar and yelled at Keith "Go get 'em buddy, you're the first white guy I've seen!"

No comments: