The oldest track & field blog on the internet

Thursday, June 21, 2007

Reese Hoffa Biofile

Filed under "things I did not know until I Googled them" is the Scoop Malinowski Biofile feature in T&FN. Malinowski is a real guy and he's been doing this schtick for some 15 years for his own site, for CBS and for dozens of magazines, interviewing all kinds of celebrities from Dale Earnhart Jr to Wynton Marsalis.

Anyway, at best I usually skim over it. Like SI's Players section, it's a puff piece that doesn't tend to interest me that much. I'm not huge on hero worship. I got over that in the early 90s when I met some big stars; I figured out that some are cool, some are dicks, and all of them are just ordinary people. Just because they can run like the wind or throw heavy things doesn't make them any better or worse than the rest of us, only more interesting to watch.

I do have to admit I have a few favorites, though. One of them is Reese Hoffa. At last year's USATF meet I got to meet him and he came off as a really nice and funny guy. So I appreciated the biofile and saw we had a lot in common. But someone dropped the ball--the Blue Ridge Mountains are in Virginia, not Tennessee.

This is the last update until I return from Indianapolis.

No comments: