The oldest track & field blog on the internet

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

USA Championships Preview - Day Two

Friday's finals...

Coverage will be live on ESPN from 8 to 10 PM.

Women's Triple Jump, 7:50 PM EDT
Defending champion: Shani Marks
T&FN pick: Erica McLain
My pick: Yvette Lewis
Analysis: I'm picking Lewis for two reasons. She has the best American jump of the year after wind and altitude are factored in, and she beat McLain in the process of making it.

Women's Shot Put, 8:15 PM
Defending champion: Michelle Carter
T&FN pick: ditto
My pick: Liz Wanless
Analysis: Wanless has been consistent save the Reebok Grand Prix, and recently put up the yearly American leader.

Men's Discus Throw, 9:40 PM
Defending champion: Ian Waltz
T&FN pick: Jarred Rome
My pick: ditto
Analysis: Consistently top American this year.

Women's 100 meters, 9:40 PM (live on ESPN)
Defending champion: Muna Lee
T&FN pick: Carmelita Jeter
My pick: ditto
Analysis: Jeter is not only the best sprinter in the USA right now, but the best in the world.

Men's 100 meters, 9:50 PM (live on ESPN)
Defending champion: Tyson Gay
T&FN pick: ditto
My pick: ditto
Analysis: The only question is whether Gay will run all the rounds or merely fill the requirements for getting his Worlds bye and run the heats only. If he's up for the whole thing, and it sounds like he is, he's essentially a lock.

Women's 5000 meters, 10:50 PM
Defending champion: Kara Goucher
T&FN pick: ditto
My pick: ditto
Analysis: Goucher is head and shoulders above all the other runners entered in this race.

Men's 5000 meters, 11:15 PM
Defending champion: Bernard Lagat
T&FN pick: Matt Tegenkamp
My pick: diito
Analysis: I like how both Solinsky and Teg ran at the Prefontaine Classic; I think Tegenkamp is a more solid pick. But you can't go too far wrong with either one.

No comments: