The oldest track & field blog on the internet

Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Bizarre Meb Issues

So when I saw Meb Keflezighi pull away from Robert Cheruyiot on Sunday, I thought "This is exciting and something I've never seen." I got chills down my spine.

I never thought it would end up on the Rec List at Daily Kos.

I still don't think it's necessarily racist (although I wouldn't count it out), just ignorant.

One comment said "None of these so-called "American born" runners donned a USA singlet on Sunday, choosing instead to wear the colors of their corporate sponsors. Only Meb wore "USA" across his chest." I'd point out that Meb did, in fact, wear his corporate sponsor's colors: Nike provides official Team USA gear, and everything Meb wore on Sunday, right down to his hat and gloves, had a swoosh on it. But still, the USA was larger than the logo.

No comments: