The oldest track & field blog on the internet

Thursday, August 30, 2007

Day 6 Review

Results
IAAF Review
USATF Recap
USA Today Notebook

My thoughts on the sixth day of the World Championships...

Even though Versus/NBC is still scared of putting meaningful field-event stats on screen, they used the read "leader line" extremely well in tonight's long jump competition. But what about the stinkin' hammer throw?

Event-by-event reactions...

Women's Hammer final: Well, I'd like to have seen it.

Women's 400H final: I thought Nosova was the favorite going in to the meet, but I had enough confidence in Rawlinson to put her on my fantasy league team right from the start. Not only did she come through, but Jesien (a late pickup) ran a gutsy homestretch to pick up bronze.

Men's Long Jump: The event of the night for sure. My silver-medal pick, Andrew Howe, took the lead with his last jump. Then my gold-medal pick, Irving Saladino, came through on his final jump for the win and a new national record.

Men's 110H semis: The three favorites (Xiang, Robles, Trammell) all ran well. Wild card David Payne ran nearly as well; he could be a real surprise tomorrow.

Women's 200m semis: The favorites all came through.

Men's 200m final: Tyson Gay has raised our expectations so much that 19.76 doesn't seem that quick for him anymore.

No comments: